Travel Journal: When in Austin...

Thursday, February 10, 2011



AUSTIN HAS MY <3
I am happy and pleased to be posting and supporting my favorite city in the United States...Austin, Texas. As often as I frequent Austin, this was by far the best foodie and hotel experience I have had. There is something about Austin that inspires and warms my soul.  The people, the scene, the food, and the "weirdness".  Having lived in Austin for three years,  I developed a love and respect for this eclectic town, and to this day I haven't been able to shake the heartbreak I feel when my weekend trips conclude.  Here's to you, my heartbreak town!







Hotel Recommendations:

Hotel Saint Cecilia 
http://www.hotelstcecilia.com/

While driving to our first destination I had no idea what to expect, I was hoping for a swanky location and easy access to the hypster street, South Congress. To my surprise I got so much more! Hotel Saint Cecilia was the highlight of my trip. From the second you reach their drive, you literally feel as if you have stepped back in time. Large sprawling oak trees, vintage style decor, and a warm greeting from the staff, made it that much more inviting. I highly recommend Hotel Saint Cecilia,if you appreciate the boutique hotel experience. It's the little touches that count, such as the collection of vinyl records you can choose to play in your room, the petite bar overlooking the green lawn, or the beautiful chandelier hanging from the oaks. What a great find!





















Kimber Modern Hotel
http://www.kimbermodern.com/


This uber modern boutique hotel, was yet another highlight. Tucked away in a neighborhood, very close to South Congress, you will find this chic,and relaxing seven roomed hotel/bed and breakfast. The Kimber Modern is a great getaway for couples or a girlfriend retreat. On the weekends, they set out a happy hour spread with wine,cheese,snacks,and gourmet treats in the common area.  A great place to relax and mingle with other guests. The crowd that Kimber Modern attracts is certainly not a boring one. If they are staying at this swanky joint, they most likely have a COOL story because this hotel is just plain COOL.  Breakfast is also served with the most delightful coffee in the morning. Such a great find! I certainly did not feel like I was at a hotel, it was such a pleasure to find this hidden spot!! Highly recommended!



















FOODIE FINDS


Every time I travel to Austin there are new culinary quests that I feel the need to conquer. Austin has a love for all things local and organic and those two words make my heart smile. This time around, I decided to dodge the fine dining establishments and get down and dirty with some good grub.  Needless to say, I literally couldn't breathe when it was all said and done.  I ATE MY HEART OUT. Thank you, Austin. I did not have a bad meal, so here were my foodie picks. Bon Appetit!




First Stop:  Jo's Coffee  

A great place to people watch, sit outside, and grab a lite snack.  Great coffee too!










Brunch Recommendation: Mulberry


http://www.mulberryaustin.com/



Menu Picks:

1) Blueberry Pancakes and Sausage

2)Shrimp and Polenta with red chili, wine butter sauce

3)Toasted Brioche, Fried Egg*, Pancetta, and Gouda 






Brunch Recommendation: Lamberts Downtown Barbecue


http://lambertsaustin.com/



Menu Picks:
1)Thick Cut Brioche French Toast with whipped Strawberry Butter and Real Maple Syrup.

2) All you can eat family style buffet: Niman Ranch Prime Rib,Brown Sugar and Coffee rubbed Natural Brisket,Cheddar and Roasted Poblano Grits,Coriander and Maple crusted Pork Ribs, baked mac and cheese, just to name a few items. =)






Snack Stop: La Boite Cafe

http://laboitecafe.com/

Menu Picks:

1)Pistachio & chocolate ganache macaroons
2)Hazelnut macarons with Fleur de Sel caramel
3)Croissant au Amande







Dinner Recommendation: Odd Duck, Farm to Trailer
Straight out of a trailer, local food, organic, and fresh! YUM!!



Menu Picks:
1)Roasted Beets, raw Carrots, Pecans, Feta and Egg yolk, Lemon 

2)Richardson Farms Pork Belly Slider with Aioli, Tomato, and Arugula 

3)Broken Arrow Ranch Venison on Baguette with Sauerkraut and Shaved Turnip 

4)Grilled Goat Cheese Sandwich, with Sweet Potato, Green Onions, Pecans, and Portabella Mushrooms.










Dessert Stop: Gourdough's Trailer



Menu Picks:
1) PB&J
2)The Puddin'















Follow Stellas Smile

2 comments:

  1. Love this! always awesome to get an 'outsiders' view of the city! hotel st. cecilia is my absolute fav hidden gem in the city! next time your here, make reservations at wink. you will not be disappointed, especially if you are a foodie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dessert looked SOO good I clicked on the link and looked at the menu!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Hayley Larue Design