Orange you glad I didn't say Banana?: By Girl In The Kitchen

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Over the past few days, I have been anticipating the ORANGE party my kitchen is throwing this week. Oranges are in season here in Texas for Spring and if you head to the grocery anytime soon, take notice of the beautiful bright oranges! They are certainly hard to miss.  When I cook with them it makes my kitchen smell fresh, and my food has extra zing!  

Although oranges are in season, and they are the theme of my recipes for the next couple of days, spinach is in season as well.  I was stoked when I saw this bag of triple washed, TEXAS spinach! I couldn't wait to let the spinach and oranges marry. What a beautiful relationship.


Spinach and Zest Pasta Salad





Recipe
1 lb.    Penne Pasta or any pasta you like ( I prefer whole grain penne.)


1/2 cup  Olive Oil
2 cloves Garlic
24 oz.   Local or organic spinach
1 can    Garbanzo Beans strained and rinsed
2 cups   Cherry Tomatoes 
8 oz.    Feta Cheese
1 TBS.   Orange zest
Kosher Salt and Black Pepper to taste


THE LOVE

1) Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain.
2)  In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook until you can smell the garlic and then remove from the oil. You are doing this to infuse the garlic with the oil.  
3)  Add the spinach (add a teaspoon of kosher salt and cook until the spinach softens. Add the garbanzo beens and tomatoes and cook for five minutes. Turn off the heat. 
4) Add the pasta, the feta cheese , orange zest and salt and pepper to taste.  Toss all together!  You can serve this pasta room temperature, cold, or hot!
5) Don't forget to add the LOVE!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Hayley Larue Design